5.23.2012

A Vacation in My Mailbox

As a self-professed "design junkie", I am also a home-decor-magazine (and book!)-aholic. I can't wait until my subscribed magazines starting pouring into my mailbox each month. It makes me giddy. I know that may seem weird to you, but they are a form of escape from the real world for me.
I get House Beautiful, Better Homes and Gardens, Sunset, Country Living, Southern Living, Coastal Living, Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, and Traditional Home.

I think I love looking through home decor magazine so much because they are such a visual treat to my eyes. I want to jump into some of those pages some days, and live there in some of those rooms. I envision sitting on a crisp white comfy couch, where there is no hint of dust, animal hair, toys, or shoes strewn around the floor. In a room, where there is not a pile of dishes waiting to me washed, floors that need to be cleaned or toilets to be attended to. Everything is in it's place and everything is at peace. The colors are appealing, the fabrics and textures are inviting and they call me in to jump on in.


My favorite magazine is Coastal Living for it has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember to own a beach house. Living in the Pacific NW, we are close to the water and I know many families that own beach homes. Unfortunately, my husband and I  haven't gotten to that point in our lives,where we are able to make that jump into having double mortgages but I hope to one day be able to.

There's something about the sand in my toes, the sound of waves lapping onto the beach, the sound of the seagulls talking to one another, the beautiful colors of summer sunsets and all those wonderful memories that pop into your mind when you think of the beach. Just thinking of those images, makes my blood pressure lower and a sense of calmness surrounds me.

So, each month when I get a new Coastal Living magazine in my mailbox, it's like a mini dream vacation for my brain. I take my magazine and curl up on my couch. I am able to escape a little from the long list of "to-do's", tune out the dog barking, kids fighting, TV blaring in the background and wistfully get drawn into the articles of seaside towns, beautiful pictures of white sandy beaches, and unbelievable chic beach homes around the world. I am able to fantasize of how I would decorate my own beach home and all the great memories our family could have like the ones in the magazines. You know the ones, where everyone is smiling around a clambake or sitting on a porch swing sipping lemonade.




Don't get me wrong, I am a smart gal and I know even my perfect beach house wouldn't always be perfect. I would still have the dishes to do, floors to mop and shoes strewn about. I would still have my kids that occasionally fight with one another, and I would have the added bonus of a wet dog barking and bringing in sand into the house. I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side, and I know it wouldn't be as perfect as the well-appointed homes in the magazines play it out to be. But it still is a huge dream of mine, and I still love to be able to dive into the magazines each month and be taken away for a little while.

What is your favorite home decor magazine, and what is your big dream you hope to achieve someday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...